Here are some pictures of our ill-fated Saturday outing. We thought "It's the desert! There couldn't POSSIBLY be ANOTHER rainy day!" We, sadly, were wrong.
Our friends and Matt's Spanish program compatriots, the Meissners, and us, all piled into our Tahoe - I wish we had a picture of the ease and comfort with which the men and children rode, while we ladies were crammed in the back with a couple of pillows to sit on. Did I mention we had the dog along, too? Anyway, it was raining when we started, but it looked better in the direction we were going, so we clung to that slim chance that maybe, just maybe, it might turn out to be a clear day...or at least quit raining. Once again, we were wrong.
You can see some examples of our river crossings - I think I'll post a video too - anyway, it was the kind of situation where my "motherish" mind sees a brief glimpse of the one-minute-ahead future, with our car bobbing sideways down the river, crashing into the boulders, and us trying to climb out the top, tossing our babies to salvation at the riverbank...you get the picture. Narah and I were definitely holding our breath and closing our eyes and hyperventilating and praying out loud during each crossing. I kept thinking, "If we die, what purpose would it serve? Did we die merely in entertaining ourselves with a poorly thought out mountain excursion?"
Anyway, as you probably have figured out, we didn't die. The final bridge was too skinny and treacherous to be crossed, so we gave up and turned back. So sad. But it was definitely a memory with our new friends, and we certainly laughed a lot! The kids seemed to be fine through all the jostling.
We stopped to eat lunch (soggy pb&j's, of course) in the rain, along the road - we didn't want to go OFF the road and risk getting stuck. Anyway, Moby had fun getting soaked and soaking others. The picture you see of me and Haley behind a tree is Haley's first successful outdoor pee. Applause everyone! This is a tough skill to master!
Hope you enjoy the slideshow and hopefully the video if I can get it to upload. This was our idea of something fun to do on the weekend, to relax and get away - ha!
Our friends and Matt's Spanish program compatriots, the Meissners, and us, all piled into our Tahoe - I wish we had a picture of the ease and comfort with which the men and children rode, while we ladies were crammed in the back with a couple of pillows to sit on. Did I mention we had the dog along, too? Anyway, it was raining when we started, but it looked better in the direction we were going, so we clung to that slim chance that maybe, just maybe, it might turn out to be a clear day...or at least quit raining. Once again, we were wrong.
You can see some examples of our river crossings - I think I'll post a video too - anyway, it was the kind of situation where my "motherish" mind sees a brief glimpse of the one-minute-ahead future, with our car bobbing sideways down the river, crashing into the boulders, and us trying to climb out the top, tossing our babies to salvation at the riverbank...you get the picture. Narah and I were definitely holding our breath and closing our eyes and hyperventilating and praying out loud during each crossing. I kept thinking, "If we die, what purpose would it serve? Did we die merely in entertaining ourselves with a poorly thought out mountain excursion?"
Anyway, as you probably have figured out, we didn't die. The final bridge was too skinny and treacherous to be crossed, so we gave up and turned back. So sad. But it was definitely a memory with our new friends, and we certainly laughed a lot! The kids seemed to be fine through all the jostling.
We stopped to eat lunch (soggy pb&j's, of course) in the rain, along the road - we didn't want to go OFF the road and risk getting stuck. Anyway, Moby had fun getting soaked and soaking others. The picture you see of me and Haley behind a tree is Haley's first successful outdoor pee. Applause everyone! This is a tough skill to master!
Hope you enjoy the slideshow and hopefully the video if I can get it to upload. This was our idea of something fun to do on the weekend, to relax and get away - ha!
it's so GREEN!!! i never remember majalca looking so tropical! i guess our camping trip leaders knew to not take us during rainy season.
ReplyDeletei don't think i even remember there ever being water in the creekbeds...
sure is beautiful.
i'm very proud of haley's new skill.
oh, and i feel sorry for ever accusing ana of big knees. wouldn't you know i featured myself in a particularly knee-unflattering pose the 'twin cities' post not long after poking fun at hers...
How fun! Give Ana a high five from Thomas. We miss you guys!
ReplyDelete